Monday, February 21, 2011

Jambalaya Brown Polish

I was in Lost River, WV this past weekend for sometime off from the city, I always cook in the cabin for my friends and this week was not the exception; and I did not have to many ingredients to cook the last day. I decided to make a Jambalaya with Kielbasa, we were going to grill, but it was cold and windy,I think it was a good idea, my friends love it... I think.


You will need:

Polish Kielbasa about 1.25 lbs, or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced 1/4" thick
1 chicken breast diced
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup of diced tomato, canned
1 large green (or any color you have) bell pepper, diced
1 small white onions, diced
2 cups brown rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of water
4 spoons of olive oil

 

What to do with all this:

In a heavy pot add the olive oil. Add the sliced sausage and cook, chicken and onions, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the paprika, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Saute the spices for 1 minute, and then add the tomatoes. Cook stirring for a few minutes to let some of the liquid from the tomatoes evaporate. Add the green bell pepper; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.

Stir in the rice and mix well. Add the stock, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and check the rice. It should be just tender; if it is still too firm cook longer. Taste for seasoning, and adjust if needed.

Have some beer or white wine, if you want you can add shrimp 5 minutes before is done, in my case I did not have seafood because I was in the middle of West Virginia, I added canned corn; if you like it do it.

Enjoy and send me an email if you have any questions.